The Basics of Installing Bi-Fold Doors
Bi-fold doors are a popular feature in modern homes. These doors are very functional because you can walk in and out easily, and they are great for the design of your home. The doors look stylish and sleek, and they let in lots of light, and because of this, your room will look much larger. If you want to have these doors installed, we are going to cover the basics of bi-fold door installation.
Things to consider before installing bi-fold doors
As with any other feature in your home, there are things to consider before you take the plunge and fit the doors yourself or hire a team of professionals.
First and foremost, you should check if you need planning permission. Every building and living area are different but, there are some general guidelines. Generally, you won’t need it if you are replacing the doors and the space is already there. However, if you are changing the style of the door, so space needs to be created, or if you are having completely new doors and are changing the design of the building, then you will likely need planning permission. It is always worth checking as you don’t want any unnecessary problems in the future.
The basic installation process of bi-fold doors
Bi fold doors can be fitted in a short space of time if you know what you are doing. As with any DIY job, we would always suggest not starting anything out of your level of expertise. Doors especially can be tricky because you need them to be secure and fit correctly. If you still want to take on the job yourself, then here is a basic outline of the installation process.
- Frame check – First of all, are you replacing old bi fold doors or fitting new ones? If new, then you should check the existing door frame for damage and suitability. Discover damage or that the old frame isn’t suitable for the bi fold mechanism? Then you need to replace the frame, ready for the new doors.
- Measure – You need to measure the door opening and make sure that you buy doors to fit and that the frame is big enough for the doors.
- Check the sill – The sill can sometimes be assembled by the manufacturer you bought the doors off, and if so, you can move on. If not, you will have to assemble that yourself.
- Frame installation – The next step involves frame assembly which will need screws, sealant, etc. You should then place the frame in the doorway and secure it in place but always make sure it is level.
- Attach the bi fold doors – Lastly, you will have to attach the hinges to the frame and then will come the panels.
As each building is different and all the sets of doors come with different instructions we can only give you the basics of installation. If you are not confident with the basics and the manufacturer’s instructions, then a professional team may be a better option for you. At Rusgold we offer affordable bi fold door installation, so contact our team if you need assistance.